Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Week 14 - The Greatest Commandment

November 21, 2017

Dear family and friends,
Eating Almuerzo with a member.
This week went by so fast! Really can't believe I'm writing again. I did a really bad job of writing in my journal too (need to work on this, though it's hard because we have so much to do in the nighttime!) this week so we'll see how this goes! 

Last Tuesday we visited a menos activo, because we are trying to contact a lot of them, and we've found that many have moved or sadly, died. But we found one who stopped going because people stopped visiting her, but she was happy to commit to go to church, even though she didn't end up going. I realized that many people simply need to be asked to attend or need a bit of friendship and love. We went back for another visit and invited a member to accompany us and found out the member was baptized one week before her! And knew each other from years ago. Tender mercies of the Lord, His hand really is in every detail! 

Wednesday we decided to drop one of our investigators. We have taught her for a while but really just isn't progressing or showing much interest. That was really sad but I hope she knows how much we care for her. We have had opportunities to serve her a few times and I hope she can feel of the love God has for her. I have prayed for a while about what I have wanted my purpose of my mission to be- the reason I'm out here. And after lot's of study and prayer I came to feel and decide that my purpose is to show other's God's love through me, and to love others more than myself. I got this from the great commandments- first is to love God with all your heart might mind and strength, and the second is like unto it. To love your neighbor more than thy self. I thought about this for quite a bit, and realized that one of the biggest ways to show our love for God is to love others, because the second great commandment, which is to love others more than ourselves is like unto the first, which is to love God. We are natural men and to not be selfish and to think of others first always is not in our nature. But it is the nature of God and Christ. And they are who I am striving to exemplify, even though I am not even close, I am trying. This is what a lot of my studies were about this week, pure love- or charity, and service and trying to see others how Christ would. I also read in Matthew 25:31-40 which says that inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me. I thought about that and realized that if Christ needed help at any point I would drop everything and go to help him. I need to be just as willing to help others no matter their circumstance or education just like I would help Christ and just like Christ would help others. Also learned a lot about faith and hope and charity in Moroni 7, and learned that everything starts with a meek and humble heart- everything. So this is my first step, to be meek and humble. 

Zone conference this Thursday went perfectly along with my purpose! We are here to serve is our new theme, being motivated by love and charity and guided by revelation.  Christ served ALL no matter if they followed him or not. What am I doing here in Chile? I am a representative of Jesus Christ and above all Christ served. And me being a representative of Him (really we all are, everyone who has been baptized promises to take His name upon you) need to show this and be His hands here in Chile, and we all can be His hands in our individual places. I have worked on this a lot and have found many more opportunities to serve and have started to try to see others, the least of my brethren, like Christ would, and it has made a grand difference in my attitude and in my day.

I have seen so many miracles this week. I truly am so blessed to be here in Chile serving the people here. I can’t even start to explain the stories and experiences and things I’ve learned so far, and just being in the mission for 3 months too. But I’m really grateful to be here learning from my companion, the people, and leaders here. I can always do better and will continue trying to do better until perfection (well hopefully one day) but until then, I am grateful for Christ’s never ending example of perfection I have to follow. I want to encourage you all to find an attribute of Christ and strive to work on it, especially for this upcoming Christmas season!! And eat lots of food for me for Thanksgiving, and know I am so grateful for each of you:)

Mucho amor,
Hermana Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 77 - 5 things I've learned from my mission

February 5, 2019 Hola!! Wow. What an adventure! I can't believe this is it! The mission has definitely been the best experience I h...