Thursday, August 23, 2018

Week 29 - Miracles. That's what Happened.

March 6, 2018

Hola!!
 Our nightly grape hunting behind our house!
I just want y'all to know that missions are the best...here's the update for this week:

Thursday we had a lesson with David and Jessi. To be honest, when I first met David I was suuuper intimidated, first because he talks fast and uses large words I don't understand and also has a large knowledge because he's studied a lot. But after getting to know them more and spending time with them I have found they are really down to earth people and are base their lives on faith and I've learned A LOT from them. They are really a special family! They invited us to have 'once' with them and at the end we read 'The Family: A Proclamation to the World' to discuss with them. While we were eating we were talking about prophets and he really couldn't grasp the importance of them and why we need someone else to tell us what to do. After, the family was brought up and we read the proclamation. We answered a few questions and when we got to the end, he said yes this is all right, this is exactly the way the family should and has been ordained to be, it's clear in the bible, any one can study it and find these truths. We said yes! God's truths never change! Even thought the world's do. Then he responded, 'but why do we need a prophet or a proclamation to tell us this, it's clear in the bible!' but then he started to think, we didn't have to even say anything and he realized 'oh, but not everyone has the ability or time to study the bible as I have to know this. I guess it would makes sense that God would send somebody to declare His truths so that everyone has an even chance to understand.' YES exactly! I love it when everything about the gospel starts to make sense. He has doubted a lot of things, largely starting with Joseph Smith, but I know that little by little his heart is being softened to receive the truth.
Yair's baptism!! 

Saturday Yair got baptized!! It was a really special day. Thursday and Friday we spent a little bit of time going to the member's houses to give them invitations we made for his baptism and they worked! Many members came to support and lots of Yair's family came too!! I played my violin for a special musical number which was pretty fun too. The spirit was soo strong the whole time and Yair was so excited. After the baptism I was talking with his mom and his step-dad and they said 'can you teach us? we want to have the lessons, we want to be baptized.' WHAT??!! I was so happy! His mom told me she could feel the spirit really strong during the hymns and could feel so much peace and wanted that. She said she wanted her family to be eternal as well. WOW the spririt really is the one that does the testifying. This gospel is so true and really does change lives!!

Monday whenever we had a lesson that terrified me. My heart was beating like 2000x a minute almost the whole time haha. Here's what happened: We contacted an old man who was really sad about his wife who passed away a few years ago and didn't think that he could see her again. So we shared a little and said we would pass by to visit him. He said he he would like us to meet his granddaughter so Monday we passed by. When we entered we sat down and started to talk to his granddaughter who was already outside when we got there. Her grandpa sat down a little ways away and we started to talk to the girl, who immediately seemed really anxious. She kept looking at the house and saying that she had lots of homework but asked us if we wanted water. I said sure, so she went in the house and came out with water. She said her mom asked her when she was going to do her homework and that she didn't have much time, so we started to end and set up another day we could come back. The door creaked and she looked up with fear as her mom busted through the door and immediately started shouting and almost screaming and her grandpa about how we were his visitors and he needed to attend to us and why did he invite us and yeah, we were frozen and I thought for 2 seconds about getting up and just leaving.. but we stayed. 

A few minutes later she looked at our water and said, 'you don't even have soda.' So she brought us cups with coca cola and sat down and said 'sorry this isn't your fault.' We started to talk a bit and asked a few questions and she told us she respects us but didn't want anything because when she was 16 or so she already talked with missionaries and has a Book of Mormon. I had the thought to ask her what was most important to her, so I did, and she said 'respect for what I believe.' Then I had the prompting to ask the same question. So I did. She said, 'my two girls and their happiness and God.' From this sprouted a dozen other questions and we shared with her how God also wants the best for us and wants us to be happy. Just like you have set rules and guidelines for your girls so they can make the most out of life, God has commandments and rules that we follow so that we can assure our happiness here and after this life.' She opened up and shared more of her difficulties and beliefs, even though she was still pretty serious. I think she was a little stressed. At the end, we asked her if we could come back to teach and converse with her more, and she said 'I don't think that me meeting you today was a coincidence, so yes.' And she invited us back the very next day. We walked away wondering what just happened. A miracle, that's what happened.
Playing scum with the hnas today.. Hna Halling goes home next week!! :')

AHH guys I want you all to know that God loves us and is aware of each of us. I am so grateful for the spirit to guide and for this gospel that brings hope and peace in my life and so many others. True happiness is only found while living the principles of the gospel. I love my Savior. I have developed this love more and more throughout the last few weeks studying Him and His life. His love for us is incomprehensible. We each can come to know Him and his mercy and feel of His love no matter where we are in our lives! Love you all and hope you can start today to make a goal to be a little better to invite more fully the light of Christ into your life! You will be blessed, that's a promise(:

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Briggs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 77 - 5 things I've learned from my mission

February 5, 2019 Hola!! Wow. What an adventure! I can't believe this is it! The mission has definitely been the best experience I h...