Thursday, March 29, 2018

Week 10 - I Love My Area!

October 24, 2017,

Hola Familia y Amigos,
The cutest little girl!

It's crazy how time flies here. Another week gone! Ah, where is the time going!

Wednesday: We had a lesson with F. and a bunch of his family and friends were there, so we shared the lesson with all of them! There was a lot of translating to Creole, too. His cousin has investigated many churches to see what they believe in so he was very well read and asked us all sorts of deep and profound questions. I got to testify through the Spirit about the apostasy and about how many people didn't get to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ in that time. I told him that God is a just God, but a merciful one too, and they would get the opportunity to accept His gospel just like he gets to. God is our Father, and he is going to give us opportunities in every way he can, trying to help us utilize our agency. I gave him a plan of salvation pamphlet and told him it would clear some things up:) They Spirit was really strong. The gift of tongues is so real! We also had a lesson with L., but when we got there (a little late) he didn't answer. Hermana S. started to walk away but I felt really strongly we needed to teach the lesson that night. I called him and turns out he was just about to call us! The lesson that night was the best one we've had with him and he opened up a lot. He also told me my Spanish has improved a lot...man, I hope so! And that when I was talking to him on the phone he was trying to decide if it was me or Hermana S., and when I said "oh yeah, yeah" it gave it away..nobody says "yeah" down here, ha!


Thursday: We found an old investigator from the hermanas before us who has had a really hard life. I'm excited to share more with her to help her find answers and peace in her life. I also realized this day how blessed I am to be in the area I'm in! Our area is really blessed and I have seen so many miracles here.

Friday: We went to a lesson of a woman who Hermana S. had visited before, but I had not. When we got there she asked where the other one was, meaning Hnas other comp. She told her she got transferred to another area and I was her new companion. She said she could come back with the other comp but not with new people who she can't trust. Then she told me "it`s not because of you" I thought about this after and how sad that she is letting a change in person get in the way of hearing about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and her salvation. It sounds so loco on paper! We all have been blessed with agency though, and for that I am grateful. While walking home we found one of our investigators getting of at a bus stop with a huge box of pots and pans that he had bought, and there he is limping and carrying the box in one hand. We both asked what he was doing?! He has a bad leg from an accident,and we hadn't been able to find him for a week. Luckily, we still had some time to help carry his heavy box to his house and set up an appointment. There are no such things as coincidences! Pretty sure I say that a lot.
Hermana S. and I doing language study at the park.

Saturday: We had a lesson with L. His dad was there too, who was super hard and unreceptive (and has sat in a few of our lessons). He told us how great he thought it was that we are out here and how he didn't believe in religion but wanted to learn more. Then he told us he forgot to do his assignment (he had taken L.`s family history worksheet, ha ha). The spirit really does soften hearts!! We also taught a Spanish class, which was ironic because I'm the one that needs a Spanish class! But there are Haitians here that have been here 1 to 2 months and know hardly a lick of Spanish and need to find work and communicate with people. It was really cool to help and be able to relate with them.
My new violin, I got today!

Sunday: We found out our investigator who had a baptismal date was moving in 2 days so that was really sad. We also had a lesson with an investigator who went off on how we are so deprived and our rules are terrible and we need to enjoy our time here etc. Hermana S. started crying as he was being really disrespectful to everything we believe and strive for. Finally I told him that I don`t understand some rules either, but I know there is a reason for every single one. Every single one is inspired by leaders who I sustain and I know I'll be blessed for keeping them. Following the commandments and rules of the mission keep me safe and happy. We also had a lesson with F. again who told us some pretty crazy stories about our area, which I will not share for the benefit of you mom:) Don't worry, we are super safe here and protected by the Lord.


I love this gospel and could not be happier anywhere but here in this time of my life! Remember to do the little things-sincerely pray and read your scriptures every day and you will feel the power of the spirit in your life and recognize the hand of God every day. Love you all! Make this week a good one:)

My Hermana Capacitador, Hermana H. from back home!
Mucho amor,
Hermana Briggs

1 Nephi 17: 51 - find a weakness you can strengthen with the Lord's help, for he can teach you to overcome anything-TEACH you but you need to put in your effort for him to help you. I'm working on patience this week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 77 - 5 things I've learned from my mission

February 5, 2019 Hola!! Wow. What an adventure! I can't believe this is it! The mission has definitely been the best experience I h...